Friday, June 26, 2009

First Post: Beck is Rad

Alright, so it should be fairly obvious this is my first post on the new site. I will try and migrate the articles from the old rocklog.ca to here, so you can all check them out. Enough about that boring stuff though.

The second obvious statement here is that Beck is rad. I know, I know, why blog something everyone already knows? Well let me tell you why Beck is so rad. In 1996, Odelay amazingly beat out the Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness at the Grammys for Best Alternative Album. In 2009, he's started The Record Club. No, it's not a new band. Well, not exactly. The Record Club's goal is this: Get together, pick an album, and re-record it, in one day. No rehearsals, no nothin'. Once the recording is done, beck.com and therecordclub.com will post one song from the album per week. The first album they chose to re-imagine was The Velvet Underground & Nico, otherwise referred to as "the Banana LP" amongst fans. Right now you can hear "Sunday Morning," and "Waiting for My Man" on the sites mentioned above.

It's a decidedly cool idea, but seriously, how good can the recordings be when they're pressed for time, and have never played the songs together? This thing could end up being a terrible flop. The songs are kinda cool to hear, but I always enjoy hearing fresh renditions of old songs. But this isn't the kind of thing that Beck et al. could sell for money. Cool to listen to though, and I look forward to hearing the rest of the Velvet Underground covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment