Tuesday, July 7, 2009

RIP Martin Streek

That's right, as reported by Eye Weekly, long-time personality of 102.1 The Edge, Martin Streek, was found to have taken his own life yesterday, July 6, 2009. I don't have much to tell you that you won't find in that article, but I can rehash some of it, and share a few words of my own about Martin.

Being that Martin was let go from The Edge a little over a month ago, his suicide can hardly be written off as a coincidence. The man had a CFNY tattoo on his butt, for crying out loud. It's no secret that he was devoted to the station. When I would email Martin on Saturdays to get on the guest list to the Phoenix, it always felt more like I was emailing a buddy, rather than some faceless radio personality. I recall a particular email that went back and forth between myself, him and Darrin Pfeiffer about Darrin's mom last summer.

I don't have too much else to say on the topic. Not many details are out there right now.

RIP Martin. You will most definitely be missed.

As a personal tribute to the man, I'd like to invite you all to light your zippo and take in this video. I chose "Today" by The Smashing Pumpkins, as it seems most fitting. Back in the early 90's when alternative was taking off, Martin was a big supporter of The Smashing Pumpkins on the Edge, and I know he was a big fan of the band. Also, the song was written by Billy Corgan during a suicidal point of his life. The song's about resisting the urge to take your own life when things seem bad. I wish Martin had had that strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment