Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mother Mother - O My Heart

Alright, so this review is probably a little late since Mother Mother's second album came out last year, but I only discovered the band two weeks ago. O My Heart has to be the best album I've heard in the past year, which is saying a lot, because there have been some good ones. Of course, like you all, I had been hearing the single "Body of Years" on the Edge every day, and thought it was catchy, but didn't care enough to even find out who the song was by. Then one day, a friend tells me that he downloaded the Mother Mother album, and it's weird, but very very good. Sounds right up my alley. Listening to that album for the first time was like the first time I heard the White Stripes.

There are a few hard-hitting rock songs on the album, such as the opening track, "O My Heart," which combines loud, in your face guitars with a catchy pop-esque beat. It'll get your head boppin' right away. Most of the other tracks are more acoustic-based, often layered with eloquent string and horn sections that don't go way over the top like some other bands I could mention. The song "Body" (not to be confused with "Body of Years") has an addictive marching verse filled with staccato violins, and melds into a very ambient chorus full of day-dreamish harmonies.

The lyrical content is outstanding, in my opinion, which is a rare thing amongst new bands these days, whose songs are often just whining in rhyme about their parents getting divorced. Instead, Mother Mother seems more interested in writing actual poetry. Proper lyrics. It's about time we got a band like this. If I were to recommend a couple tracks to you, I would say listen to "Body," and "Hay Loft," the latter being a fast-moving rock track with hints of latin music in it.

Five stars. Give Mother Mother's O My Heart a listen today. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment